Sugar Cookie Recipe
Here is the best recipe for basic but tasty sugar cookies that anybody can make, will hold their shape and look great straight out of the oven!
Before we begin
- This recipe calls for room temperature butter and egg; absolutely, under no circumstances should you ignore this. If you're really stuck for time check out youtube for tips on bringing it to room temperature. Please don't microwave it, you'll end up with some melted butter and some fridge temperature butter
- Please leave time for the dough to chill once rolled and again once cut, once again these steps are vital for getting the best shape possible from your cookies!
What you'll need
- 280g plain flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 170g room temperature unsalted butter
- 150g granulated sugar
- 1 room temperature egg
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract (or any flavoring of your choice)
- Greaseproof paper
- SIlicone baking mat (optional)
What to do
- Mix the flour, baking powder and salt together in a bowl
- Mix the butter and sugar together in a large bowl and beat with either a hand mixer or wooden spoon. When combined (about 2 minutes with a hand mixer) scrape down the sides of the bowl and add your egg and vanilla extract. Beat until combined
- Now add the flour mix into the wet ingredients and mix (on a low setting with dough hooks if using a hand mixer) until combined
- On a floured surface, roll your dough (may need to roll it in 2 halves) to a thickness of 6-8mm and cover with clingfilm. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes (or up to 2 days)
- Preheat your oven to 180 (fan) and remove your dough from the fridge. It should be firm enough that it will bend but not too easily.
- Place dough on a floured surface and have a baking mat or tray lined with greaseproof paper ready.
- Dip your cutter into some flour, and press it firmly and evenly into the dough, remove the cutter. If the dough sticks use a blunt tool to carefully remove it.
- Transfer cut-out cookies to the baking sheet, re-roll excess dough and repeat. If the dough begins to soften, place back in the fridge to firm up before baking.
- Place your baking sheet into the oven for 10-12 minutes or until the edges turn a golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and carefully transfer to a cooling rack
My cookies have spread
How vital is room temperature butter
Dough getting stuck in the cutter
Try using a blunt tool to remove the dough
Dough stuck to worktop
Your dough could be too soft, place it back in the fridge and flour your surface again!